Job Announcement PRN Firefighter/EMT and Firefighter/Paramedic
Part-time only with future Full-time positions projected.
The Chief of Department of the Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency, doing business as the Western Carteret Fire & EMS Department, is accepting applications for the positions of PART-TIME Firefighter/EMT and Firefighter/Paramedic to increase our Part-time (PRN) pool as well as to establish and identify qualified, highly motivated, and skilled professionals for future full-time positions that are projected over the next two years.
How to Apply
Fill it out, print the application and sign it. If you need the continuation page include it in your application as well. Forward a short resume with your application, copies of all certifications, and a color copy of your driver’s license to the location below.
Applications will be accepted beginning 8:00 AM on Thursday, October 7, 2021, through 4:30 PM on Friday, November 5th, 2021. Your complete application packet and all required documents must be received by this time for you to be eligible. The application and required documents may be:
1. Dropped off at the Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency’s Office, 140 Sherwood Avenue, Cedar Point, NC in the Clerk, Karen Sowers’ office.
2. Scan and email to Asst. Chief of Fire Operations andTraining Michael Penuel: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. or mailed to:
Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency c/o Karen Sowers
Fire & EMS Dept.
140 Sherwood Avenue Cedar Point, NC 28584
Job Title: Part-time Firefighter/EMT Part-time Firefighter/Paramedic
Firefighter/EMT = $11.50 – 14.75 per hour (Depending on KSAs and years exp.)
Firefighter/Paramedic = $16.75 – 20.00 per hour (Depending on KSAs and years exp.)
Open Period: 8:00 AM on Thursday, October 7, 2021, through 4:30 PM on Friday, November 5th, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
Personnel who are part-time with our agency have a clear advantage when full- time positions become available due to having regular interaction with crew and already being familiar with ourpolicies, SOGs, protocols, etc. We in turn will have been able to examine how the individual fits our shifts and team as well as how they fit into our scheme and concept of operations.
Either Fire & EMS Station # 1 at 140Sherwood Ave., Cedar Point, NC 28584 # 2 at 141 Morristown Rd., Stella, NC28582
Who may be considered?
a. Current United States resident.
b. Current North Carolina, IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter Level II certification
c. Current NC State Certified EMT-B through EMT-Paramedic
Qualifications/ Certifications Required:
• Requires a valid NC State Driver’s License or ability to obtain by date of hire.
• Requires a valid NC State EMT-Basic Certification or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
• Requires a minimum of a NC State, IFSAC, or Pro-Board Fire Fighter II Certification.
• Requires a minimum of a NC Haz-Mat Awareness Level Certification.
• Must also have all required NIMS ICS certifications (NIMS 100, 200, 700, & 800).
• Comprehensive Criminal background check.
• Personal background check including former employers, volunteer organizations, and a social
• Selected applicants must pass a physical abilities test.
• Selected EMT applicants must pass a 50-question basic knowledge Firefighter/EMT-Basic exam.
• Selected PARAMEDIC applicants must pass a 50-question basic knowledge Firefighter exam as well as undergoTSOPS
• Selected applicants will undergo a hiring interview with the Chief of Department.
Schedule for required testing and interviews:
• Applicant’s physical abilities, written test and Chief Officer’s interviews – Week of Nov. 15 exact date and time TBA.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are already holding either Firefighter or EMT certification and are enrolled in and/or presently taking the class for the remaining certification (fire academy or EMT class) westrongly encourage you to apply if you are interested. We will work with individuals in this category due to the fact that we believe we can assist you in your remaining training and learning experience while you also assist us with your already learned, present skill set.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A FIRE AND/OR EMS SERVICE CAREER,THIS IS YOUR OPORTUNITY TO GO THROUGH A HIRING PROCESS AND POSSIBLY BE HIRED TO JUMP START YOUR CAREER GOALS.
The Western Carteret Fire & EMS Department is a Fire & EMS (ALS) provider located in eastern NC and Western Carteret County.
The Western Carteret Fire and EMS Department is a progressive and busy department. At WCFD we view personnel as our most important resource. Our crews are constantly challenged, working, moving, and staying busy with the work of a fire & EMS department. WCFD is a department that is in a rapidly growing and thriving community. The management and staff of the department are looking for qualified persons with a positive attitude that fit with our current and projected shift make-ups and staff personalities and can be trusted to become true team players.
An individual hired in either the FF/EMT or FF/Paramedicpart-time position will, when scheduled, work with full- time shift personnel to provide emergency medical care and transport at the level the individual is certified. They will participate in EMS training and maintenance activities necessaryto achieve positive outcomes in emergency medical care. Also, they will protect lives and property through activities associated with fire protection/suppression, rescues, hazardous materials, and other emergencies. When scheduled They will participate in training and maintenance activitiesnecessary to achieve effective fire and EMS protection for our citizens. Applicants/candidates hired, will be supervised daily by a shift Captain/Supervisor or Lieutenant-Work/Crew Leader under the direction of a Chief Officer.
What does the IDEAL CANDIDATE look like? He or she knows andunderstands the following:
• The practices, procedures, and equipment used in fighting fires, providing EMS, rescuing victims, and saving property.
• Following a Chain of Command.
• The Incident Command System and Incident Management.
• The operation and maintenance of fire and rescue apparatus, tools, and equipment.
• Laws, rules, and regulations which govern the Fire &EMS Services.
• Hazardous and flammable materials.
• Technology and computer use.
Key knowledge, skills, and abilities for the ideal candidate:
• Knowledge of the EMS field and issues related within.
• Knowledge of the fire protection field and issues related within.
• Knowledge and abilities in firefighting and rescue procedures.
• Knowledge of maintenance of EMS and firefighting equipment.
• Ability to perform heavy manual work under adverse conditions.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with coworkers.
• Ability to maintain effective work relations with other employees and volunteers.
• Ability to follow strict andregimented policies, SOGs, protocols, etc.
• ABILITY TO BE TAUGHT, LEARN AND BE ENGAGED.
• RESPONDING promptly to EMS dispatches when notified of such.
• PROVIDING emergency medical care to victims of traumatic injury and sickness as
• RESPONDING promptly to fire dispatches when notified of such.
• MAY DRIVE and OPERATE fire apparatus and/or ambulance when appropriate.
• COMMUNICATES effectively verbally, by means of two-way radio, and face to face.
• MAY DRIVE fire apparatus and OPERATE pumps and other equipment with firefighting,
rescue, salvage, and maintenance operations.
• POSITIONING and CLIMBING ladders to gain access to upperfloors of buildings.
• RESCUEING persons trapped in fires, vehicle accidents, etc.
• If qualified/certified; ENTER burning buildings and ADVANCING charged and uncharged
hose lines and APPLYING extinguishing agents to suppress and extinguish fires.
• SALVAGE and OVERHAUL of property when so needed.
• PERFORMING any other fire, EMS, or rescue-related duty asnecessary to protect the
public as assigned and directed by the Chief of Department,any Officer, or delegated authority.