Part-Time Firefighter EMT-Basic / Paramedic
12, 24 & 48 hour shifts will be available.
Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency
Western Carteret Fire & EMS Department
The Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency, doing business as the Western Carteret Fire & EMS Department, will be accepting applications from professional, qualified/certified persons to create an eligibility pool/list of applicants for forthcoming part-time openings.
Submit complete application, resume, copies of all certifications and color copy of driver’s license by April 2, 2021. Your complete application packet and all required documents must be received by this date to be eligible. The application and required documents may be:
- Dropped off at the Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency’s office, 140 Sherwood Avenue, Cedar Point, NC in the Clerk, Karen Park’s Office.
- Scan and email all required documents to Asst. Chief of Fire Operations and Training Michael Penuel: email@example.com
- Mail to:
Western Carteret Interlocal Cooperation Agency
C/O Karen Sowers Fire & EMS Dept.
140 Sherwood Avenue
Cedar Point, NC 28584
1.) Part-Time Firefighter/EMT-Basic
2.) Part-Time Firefighter/EMT-Paramedic
Beginning Pay Scale:
Part-Time Firefighter/EMT-Basic = $11 to $13 per hour
Part-Time Firefighter/EMT-Paramedic = $16 to $18 per hour
With a 7% increase beginning July 1, 2021
Open Application Period:
8:00am on Monday, March 8, 2021 through 4:30pm Friday, April 2, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
Part-Time Firefighter EMT-Basic & Firefighter EMT-Paramedic positions.
Either Fire & EMS Station:
Western Carteret Fire & EMS District
Station #1 at 140 Sherwood Ave., Cedar Point, NC 28584
Station #2 at 141 Morristown Rd., Stella, NC 28582
Who may be considered?
A current United States resident with a current North Carolina, IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter Level II certification and current NC State certified EMT-Basic through EMT-Paramedic. If you are already holding either Firefighter or EMT certifications and are enrolled and presently taking the class for the remaining certification we encourage you to apply.
The Western Carteret Fire & EMS Department is a fire EMS provider located in Eastern NC and western Carteret County. The incumbent, if hired, will on a daily basis protect lives and property through activities associated with fire protection/suppression, hazardous materials and other emergencies, shall participate in training and maintenance activities necessary to achieve that end. The incumbent shall provide emergency medical care at the EMT-Basic or EMT-Paramedic level and participate in training and maintenance activities necessary to achieve that end. The position is located within the Western Carteret Fire & EMS district.
The Western Carteret Fire and EMS Department is a progressive and busy department, where personnel are constantly working, moving and staying busy with work of the fire & EMS department that is in a growing and thriving community. The management and staff of the department are looking for qualified persons with a positive attitude that fit with our current and projected shift make-ups and staff personalities and can be trusted to become true team players.
Additionally, the applicant, if hired, will protect lives and property through activities associated with fire protection/fire suppression, hazardous materials and other emergencies participating in training and maintenance activities necessary to achieve the fire protection and safety goals of the agency and department.
Key knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Knowledge of the EMS field and issues related within.
- Knowledge of the fire protection field and issues related within.
- Knowledge and abilities in firefighting and rescue procedures.
- Knowledge of maintenance of EMS and firefighting equipment.
- Ability to operate pumps and other equipment effectively.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to perform heavy manual work under adverse conditions.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with coworkers.
- Ability to maintain effective work relations with other employees and volunteers.
- Ability to follow strict and regimented policies, SOGs, protocols, etc.
- Ability to implement and use pre-incident plans effectively.
- A working knowledge of and ability to operate within the Incident Command System.
- Responds promptly to EMS dispatches when notified of such.
- Responds promptly to fire dispatches when notified of such.
- Drives and operates fire apparatus and ambulance when appropriate.
- Provides basic life or advanced life support patient care to victims of traumatic injury and sickness as necessary.
- Communicates effectively verbally, by means of two-way radio, face to face, and in writing through completion of various reports, memos and letters.
- Drives fire apparatus and operates pumps and other equipment in regard to firefighting, rescue, salvage and maintenance operations.
- Positions and climbs ladders to gain access to upper floors of buildings.
- Facilitates the rescue of persons trapped in fires, vehicle accidents, etc.
- Enters burning buildings and advances charged and uncharged hose lines and applies extinguishing agents to suppress and extinguish fires.
- Salvages and overhauls property when so needed.
- Performs any other fire, EMS or rescue-related duty as necessary to protect the public as assigned and directed by the Chief of the Department, any Officer or delegated authority.
- Requires a valid NC State Driver’s Licenses or ability to obtain by date of hire. (Must obtain class B DL within 6 months of hiring.)
- Requires a minimum of a NC State, IFSAC or Pro-Board Firefighter II Certification.
- Requires a valid NC State EMT-Basic or higher Certification or ability to obtain by date of hire.
- Requires a minimum of a NC Haz-Mat Awareness Level Certification.
- Requires NIMS Certifications 100, 200, 700 & 800
- Selected applicants may be subject to a urinalysis/drug screening test.
- Obtain fingerprints from Carteret County Sheriff or local Law Enforcement Department. Pursuant to NC G.S. 114-19.12
- Comprehensive Criminal background check.
- Personal background check including former employers, volunteer organizations and social media.
- Selected applicants must pass a physical abilities test.
- Selected applicants must pass a 50-question basic knowledge Firefighter/EMT-Basic exam.
- Selected applicants will undergo a Chief Officers interview.
Required Testing and Interviews:
- Screened and selected applicants’ physical abilities and written testing. TBA
- Screened and selected applicants’ Chief of Department’s interviews. TBA
Applicants/candidates hired, part-time will be supervised daily by a shift Captain/Supervisor or acting Captain under the direction of a Chief Officer.
If you are interested in a fire service career and have the prerequisites, this is your opportunity to go through a hiring process and possibly be hired to jumpstart your career goals.